This class meets the required classroom training and firearm qualifications to obtain your Texas License to Carry (LTC). Students will gain understanding of the responsibilities and laws applicable to LTC holders.
- Laws that relate to firearms and the use of deadly force;
- Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried guns;
- Non-violent dispute resolution; and
- Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.
At the end of the classroom portion, students will take a 25 question exam. The class will then go to the range where the students must demonstrate handgun proficiency. Upon successful completion, the students will recieve their Certificate of Training (LTC 100 or LTC 101 form) that can be submitted to DPS in order to obtain their License to Carrry.
This class is not intended to teach students how to shoot. Its purpose is to teach students the laws of carrying a handgun legally in the State of Texas and test shooting proficiency.
Additional information regarding Texas License to Carry.
Experience Level: Basic proficiency with a handgun
Duration: A total of 4 to 6 hours in the classroom, plus up to 2 hours on the range
Class Size: No more than 20 ladies
Class Fees: $75.00/student
Range Fees: Included in course fee
- Must be a legal resident of Texas for the prior six-months or must be otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);
- Must be at least 21 years of age;
- Must not have been convicted of a felony;
- Must not have been charged with a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense, or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
- Must not be a fugitive from justice for a felony or a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense;
- Must not be a chemically dependent person;
- Must not be incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun;
- Must not have been convicted, in the past five years, of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense;
- Must be fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;
- Must not have been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
- Must not have been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;
- Must not be currently restricted under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting a person; and
- Must not have been adjudicated, in the past 10 years, as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony.
Eye & ear protection
Notepad and pen
Functioning handgun that is .22LR caliber or larger – DO NOT bring your handgun into the classroom
Range bag, sleeve or box to carry your handgun
100 rounds of ammunition to match the caliber of handgun (no reloaded ammunition)
Attire: Range appropriate attire for the climate, including short or long sleeve, high collared or neckline shirt, long pants and closed toe shoes. No low cut tops or v-necks. Weather appropriate outerwear. Brimmed caps are strongly recommended, but not required.
Registration Terms and Policies:
Cancelations/Refunds: 75% of the class fee is refundable if given 72-hours’ notice of class start time. 25% is a non-refundable deposit.
No-Show: Participants who do not show to the class without a prior 72-hour notice forfeit their total registration fees.
Pictures and Videos: Pictures and videos may be taken on a minimal basis with permission of the student to memorialize the event. No pictures or audio/video recordings may be done of the instructor or the instructor’s presentation. This is done for the privacy of the students and instructors and the integrity of the class.